It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:31 pm
Change font size

Fandom / Flames

Next Town Over cannot be stopped unless killed.

Squidbunnies, Hell's Corners, or Next Town Over-related bile.

Re: Next Town Over cannot be stopped unless killed.

Postby squidbunny » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 am

So yeah. I mentioned this on Twitter but that whole noise with AdSense happened again out of the blue, right at a payment threshhold, to an account set up by George. So there goes that extra money! Honestly this has happened to so many smalltime websites with them (Me, Jon, half the webcomic dudes I know, me again ... and then I read a billion sob stories on the interweb) I'm beginning to smell a class action suit. What started as an understandablly hardline stance on invalid clicks born of a huge lawsuit brought against Google by advertisers back in the day has become a stupid vehicle for ripping off little people. It's a great scam -- collect your share of the ad revenue and then kill those accounts so you conveniently don't have to pay them all and can keep 100% of the ad revenue. If you figure they dick even 10,000 little blogs, webcomics and whatnot out of even $100 a month that's substantial savings to them over time, and those accounts are easily replaced because every idiot has a blog or a webcomic now. I guess this bothers me mostly because there's this perception of Google as a great benefactor, when they are in fact one of the biggest, douchiest monoliths on the planet...?

Oh, well. At least they oppose SOPA.

None of that was what I came in here to even write. I just saw this old thread lying here and couldn't leave it.

What I was gonna say is: man, I wish all the people who comment on NTO or write on its Facebook wall would come talk in here but we have never snared a single one. I still prefer a nice forum to comments and social networks. Because I'm old.
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Postby okwari » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 am

I wish there was a better way for people to make money off websites than to use Adsense. For what it's worth, I try to mention your comic when I can.
okwari

Postby squidbunny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am

Well, on the bright side the Project Wonderful ads have been doing pretty well the past few months (and have overtaken digital sales as my primary NTO revenue slice), and Lijit (who I replaced AdSense with) is starting to make a little bit of money.

I appreciate the word of mouth! The comic's grown significantly in the past year thanks to folks like you.
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Postby Trekkin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:44 am

If it helps, Next Town Over is more or less the link I give people as an explanation of what Deadlands is. The similarities are uncanny, truly.
Trekkin

Postby squidbunny » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am

Could account for the inordinately high percentage of tabletop-gaming readers I've got. :)
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Postby djloche » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:34 am

Next Town Over cannot be killed!

:D
djloche

Previous

Return to Fandom / Flames