It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:51 am
Change font size

Comics

The Comics forum

Print or web, serial or GN. Here's where you talk about that comic you like that no one else has probably ever heard of.

The Comics forum

Postby squidbunny » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:15 am

I'm not sure why I added this forum: comics are kind of just at the forefront of my thoughts and I figured we needed an obligatory run-on thread listing whatever people are reading that's basically just everyone saying Penny Arcade and half of us saying Achewood and the other half Hark! A Vagrant with some Jerk City or something thrown in. And then Sef says something about superhero comics and Jay tries to argue with him even though Jay hasn't read comics for 20 years and then I ban everyone.

I really only have one unobvious and fairly recent discovery as far as webcomics goes: Anders Loves Maria. It's pretty good; the art and writing are mutually nice.
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Re: The Comics forum

Postby Spex » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Anders Loves Maria is good.

One webcomic I like is American Barbarian, which is basically a huge love letter to Jack Kirby.

And of course there's MSPA.

As far as superhero comics go, Grant Morrison's run on Batman is amazing. RIP is definitely not for everyone, but Batman & Robin, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Inc. are stellar to the max.

Also, Invincible is still kinda poop.

And Hellboy and related comics rule.
Spex
Hapless Bystander

Location: Beyond the eldritch veil of crimson shadow, apparently!

Postby squidbunny » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

Oh goddamn you stop harshing on Invincible. Granted, Kirkman in general is overrated and having dumped Walker will never be okay, and granted, I haven't read it since #59ish, but the art is just so pretty and clean I'd read it if it were about goth teenagers curbstomping cute animals. Actually it kind of has been, on occasion.
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Postby Spex » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:08 pm

I agree with you about the art. My comments on its poopness were solely motivated by its story, which is kinda poop.
Spex
Hapless Bystander

Postby squidbunny » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:56 am

Achewood finally updated again and I'm not sure it was worth the wait. What happened to Chris?
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Postby squidbunny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am

Spex. You have exactly one month to read this forum and list all the comics you'd recommend for 13 year-olds. That is to say, comics 13 year-olds wouldn't have to hide from their weird conservative American parents.
squidbunny
Ineffectual Sheriff

Postby Spex » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:24 am

squidbunny wrote:Spex. You have exactly one month to read this forum and list all the comics you'd recommend for 13 year-olds. That is to say, comics 13 year-olds wouldn't have to hide from their weird conservative American parents.

Hmmmmmm. That's a doozy. I thiiiink

-One Piece
-the whole Marvel Adventures series is pretty good and all-ages stuff, but I don't know if that's still going on
-apparently the new Transformers ongoing(s?) is/are also quite good.
-Groo the Wanderer
-Calvin & Hobbes
-Tintin
-Lucky Luke
-Asterix
-Usagi Yojimbo
-Moomin
-Do web comics with print versions count? Because if so Dr. McNinja is fun for all ages.
-Jon mentioned Runaways. That's good. And age-appropriate.

It's a god damned shame that you specified comics hypothetical American parents wouldn't object to because man, that just limits the list by a lot because there's tons of stuff 13-year-olds fucking love and parents fucking hate like Hellboy. That was one of my earliest comics when I started actually getting into comics. I mean I'd read Tintin and Gaston Lagaffe and other eurocomics and stuff, but I wasn't really into comics yet. I just thought they were fun, you know what I mean?

Plus I'm European so asking me what's fun for 13-year-olds and appropriate in the eyes of their American parents isn't really fair.

And I'm less than a week away from being 23 so I'm starting to get on in years and I can't fucking remember how I thought when I was 13 and besides that maybe the first comic I read when I genuinely got into comics was Watchmen.
Spex
Hapless Bystander

Postby Spex » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:56 pm

-Hmmm, come to think of it I think Grant Morrison's Action Comics might be good, too, since it's basically a retelling of Superman's origin and everything you need to know about him to get the character. There's continuity stuff in there, but it's only noticeable if you already know about it. If you don't the comic explains everything pretty well. Plus, everyone already knows something about Superman, and that's enough to jump right in.
-The current Daredevil series is also good, clean fun, and everything you need to know is explained in the comic, also.
-I've heard good thigns about Ultimate Spider-Man, too.
-Axe Cop?
Spex
Hapless Bystander

Postby Spex » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh, and Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics fame is going to be writing the Adventure Time comic.

So that's a thing kids should check out, too.
Spex
Hapless Bystander

Postby djloche » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:57 am

White Noise (http://www.wncomic.com/ ) is one that I'm hoping that the story doesn't die.
djloche

Return to Comics